A story I wish I didn't have to write to SMRT taxis
On march 13, my friend reserved 2 taxis using her iPhone booking application. Upon boarding SHB 848 R, I notified the driver that I would like to go to 2 places. After repeating myself, he said that he was unable to bring me to 2 places and that he could only go to 1. On top of that, he demanded why I did not indicate that I wanted to go to 2 places during my booking. I told him that this was not possible using the iPhone application. This was when he reversed into the carpark of Auric Pacific building and said that he needed to verify this with his operator. After confirming with the operator that stating the number of locations was not possible, he asked the operator if they could tell me instead that he could not send me to 2 places (which I assume was negative as he put down the phone).
He asked me what I intended to do and I said since he could only drop me to 1 location, he can go ahead to my destination 'first'. Upon hearing this, he declared 'oh there is no first, I can only go to one place'. I replied that ‘I guess I have no choice, but to proceed ahead'. To my horror, he told me it was not that I had no choice and that he was not forcing me as I could go down and call for another cab. I replied that it was already 5-6pm, a peak period in Jalan Boon Lay and it was pouring heavily it would be impossible to do so.
After turning out of the building, before I approached the junction of Enterprise Road and Jalan Boon Lay, my friend informed me that her original taxi had a flat tire and asked if I could turn around and pick her up instead. I told my driver that I understood he only could go to 1 location and told him that we would now proceed to my friend’s location in Toa Payoh and asked if he could turn around. He rudely told me that this was an illegal u-turn and asked if I wanted to be responsible if he was to be involved in an accident. I was stunned and gestured towards Jalan Boon Lay and suggested that we could make a left turn and travel a distance before making a turn. He replied that he had no idea how far was that u-turn. Despite being exasperated by then but wanting to help my friend, I asked him (very nicely) ‘uncle, how did you get here?’. To which he raised his voice and almost shouted at me ‘this is not about how I got here, if you want me to make an illegal u-turn and if anything happens, its your fault!’
I still did not raise my voice back at him but replied him then ‘Uncle, why are you raising your voice at me? I don’t deserve that. I am asking you nicely if you can make a u-turn to pick my friend up. I am asking how did you get here because I am wondering if we can use the same road to turn back in. You don’t have to raise your voice at me.’
He did not say I was wrong but finally quieten down and repeated ‘So you want me to u-turn and pick up your friend to Toa Payoh?’ I replied ‘Yes’ and then he proceeded to do exactly what I suggested which was to turn left and make a u-turn on Jalan Boon Lay.
I eventually swopped cabs with my friend who was able to secure a second booking as I could not stand tolerating his anger in the cab any longer.
Although I have never complained about a taxi driver before, I feel that this taxi driver was aggressive and unnecessarily rude without even being provoked. If he had to reject my booking without any clear reasons, he should not have even picked up the booking in the first place.
Kindly let me know how you intend to proceed with this.
Thank you.
With regards,
Peiyun

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home